The American Red Cross will provide a free program to help children be prepared, not scared, when disasters happen.
The Pillowcase Project is a disaster preparedness program for 2nd - 6th grade participants that teaches them:
- How they and their households can best prevent, prepare for and escape from a home fire
- What causes natural hazards like earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes
- How they and their households can prepare for and stay safe when a natural hazard becomes an emergency
- Practical skills to help cope with and stay calm during emergencies and other stressful situations
- What tools and practices they and their households can use to be prepared for all types of emergency situations
Participants will receive the My Preparedness Workbook and a sturdy pillowcase to hold their own emergency supplies kit.